___[16 September 2015] ICASA has issued out an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for the issuing of radio frequency spectrum licences making up the third Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT3) – referred to as multiplexer 3 (MUX 3) in the Promotion of Diversity and Competition on Digital Terrestrial Television Regulations 2014 for the purpose of providing commercial subscription television broadcasting services.
A non-refundable fee of R100 000 applies and applications are due by 16h00 on 30 November 2015.
This a competitive process with three stages:
- Prequalification criteria: an applicant must
- Be a television broadcasting service licensee as defined in the Promotion of Diversity and Competition on Digital Terrestrial Television Regulations 2014
- Have a minimum of 30% ownership held by historically disadvantaged persons and/or a level 4 BBBEE status
- Not hold capacity assigned in MUX 1 or MUX 2
- Sealed bids: submission of sealed bids with highest qualified bidder being the winner
- Granting of licence
The successful applicant will be assigned 45% of MUX 3 capacity for the provision of commercial subscription broadcasting services.
- The successful applicant will be required to pay annual radio frequency spectrum licence fees (as opposed to the current position under which broadcasting service licensees are not required to pay such fees)
Failure to meet 50% of roll-out targets prior to the second anniversary of the first proposed launch of the service will be regarded as non-utilisation and will result in the withdrawal of the spectrum licence