[25 July 2021] ICASA have published a useful annual report providing an analysis and evaluation of the current status, readiness,
and prospects for 5G in South Africa.
The report is informed by a stakeholder survey, conducted amongst the members of the 5G Forum.
[23 May 2018] ICASA will be supporting the Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) in hosting the 5th Annual 5G Huddle, to be held for the first time in the Southern Hemisphere. The event will take place from from 29 to 30 May 2018 in Durban. Further details can be found in the ICASA press release below.
[6 November 2017] Please see link below for a media statement by ICASA on the inaugural 5G forum meeting, which took place on 1st and 2nd November 2017 in Johannesburg.
[16 October 2017] ICASA has reinvigorated a previous attempt to create a 5G forum to discuss matters relating to 5G and other relevant standards. The regulator has published draft terms of reference for the forum as well as an agenda for the initial meeting of the forum to be held in Johannesburg on 1st and 2nd November 2017.
Under the terms of reference, the purpose of the 5G Forum is to:
- assist ICASA to prepare necessary contributions to made to meetings of the International Telecommunications Union (“the ITU”) in respect of 5G and other relevant standards bodies;
- ensure that such contributions are well informed and take into account considerable specific requirements of South Africa; and
- act as an advisory body and not an executive committee; therefore it must not perform any management responsibilities and shall have an objective and independent role.
The scope of work of the Forum is to include:
- Identification of requirements and capabilities of individual use cases in the 5G era;
- Collection and analysis of information on potential frequency bands for future 5G;
- International cooperation through Memoranda of Understanding with similar international fora focused on 5G;
- Preparation for participation in the ITU-R 5G workshop provisionally scheduled for first quarter of 2017; and
- Becoming a platform for recognition and identification of South African innovations that may benefit from standardization.