The submission date has been extended to align with the provincial workshops and interested parties can submit written representations by 16h00, 15 June 2018 for the attention of Mamedupe Kgatshe, per email firstname.lastname@example.org; CC: email@example.com. Enquires can be directed to 011 566 3259 between 10h00 and 16h00, Monday to Friday.
___[19 April 2018] ICASA provided an update on the status of the moratorium on the issuing of class community sound broadcasting service licences in Parliament on 18 April 2019. The relevant portion of the presentation is reproduced below.
On 22 September 2015, the Authority issued a moratorium in respect of applications for class community sound broadcasting service licences and for associated radio frequency spectrum licences. The moratorium was necessitated by:
- A scarcity of analogue radio frequencies;
- The review of the Licensing Processes and Procedures Regulations to include a requirement for the Authority to process registrations for class community broadcasting licences in two intervals per year; and
- The need to develop a new regulatory framework to facilitate a sustainable community broadcasting sector.
The Authority has made progress towards the lifting of the moratorium:
- The review of the Licensing Processes and Procedures Regulations was concluded in March 2016. The Regulations require that the Authority process registrations for class community broadcasting licences on a biannual basis
- The review of the regulatory framework for community broadcasting services licences commenced during the 2016/17FY In March 2018, the Authority published Draft Regulations for Community Broadcasting Services (Radio and Television). This document is presently out for public comment. The final regulations will be issued in the current 2018-19FY
The moratorium will be reviewed upon the finalisation of the aforementioned process.
As noted by ICASA, it has published a Findings Document as well as draft regulations for public comment.
Interested parties are invited to submit written representations by 16h00, 18 May 2018 for the attention of Mamedupe Kgatshe, per email firstname.lastname@example.org; CC: email@example.com. Enquires can be directed to 011 566 3259 between 10h00 and 16h00, Monday to Friday.
___[7 October 2015] We are receiving a lot of queries with regard to community broadcasting licences. Unfortunately the moratorium on the issuing of these licences announced by ICASA on 22 September 2015 is still in place.
___[13 July 2015] The Minister of Communications has published a Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme for public comment.
Comments can be emailed to Collin Dimakatso Mashile at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 16h00 on Tuesday, 1 September 2015.