___[15 November 2015] The Department of Communications has published a notice in the Gazette revealing its intention to introduce a Bill during November to amend the Broadcasting Act of 1999.
The explanatory summary of the Amendment Bill reveals that it will provide for the:
- deletion of the definition of appointing body
- reduction of the number of non-executive members of the Board of the SABC
- amendment of the procedure for the appointment and removal of non-executive members of the Board
- appointment of a nomination committee to make recommendations to the Minister for the appointment of non-executive members of the Board
- reconstitution of the executive committee
- amendment of the procedure for the removal and resignation of non-executive members of the Board
- amendment of the procedure for the dissolution of the Board and for the appointment of an interim Board
It appears that the introduction of the Bill has its roots in publicly-aired disputes relating to the correct process for the appointment of Board members and a need to clarify whether the Broadcasting Act or the Companies Act applies.