[29 March 2022] The High Court has delivered its judgement in respect of the application by e.tv to have the analogue switch off date postponed.

etv and others v Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies and others 28 March 2022 Case Number 51159_2021

ORDER

I therefore make the following order:

1) Media Monitoring Africa and SOS Support Public Broadcasting are granted leave to intervene as co-applicants in the proceedings under case number 51159/21;

2) The main applications and the applications in terms of Rule 6(5)(c) are dismissed;

3) The analogue switch-off date is deferred from 31st March 2022 to 30th June 2022;

4) Set-Top-Boxes for the 507 251 qualifying households registered by 31st October 2021 are to be installed by no later than 30th June 2022, with priority to be given to the installation of Set-Top-Boxes for the qualifying registered households located in the Free State, North West, Northern Cape, Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces;

5) Set-Top-Boxes for the 260 868 qualifying households registered between 31st October 2021 and 10th March 2022 are to be installed by no later than 30th September 2022; and

6) e.tv is ordered to pay 50% of the costs of the first respondent and 100% of the costs of the second, third and sixth respondents on party and party scale including the costs of three counsel where employed

__

[1 March 2022] The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies published a media statement on 28 February 2022 determining 31 March 2022 as the date for the final switch-off of the analogue signal and the end of dual illumination in South Africa.

Announcement of 1 March 2022 as date of the final switch off the analogue signal and the end of dual illumination

MCMT Statement on completion of broadcasting digital migration process 28 February 2022

According to the statement the Minister is satisfied that:

  • Sentech as the provider of signal distribution services to the SABC has ensured that the digital broadcast signal for the SABC has reached hundred percent (100%) through itws terrestrial and the satellite networks.
  • The coverage requirements for Multiplexes 1 and 2 have been met, for those licensees who have appointed an electronic communications network service licensee to provide signal distribution services.
  • A sufficient number of indigent households have registered for government assistance vis-a-vis number of available set-top boxes and that there is sufficient progress with the installation of set-top boxes.

___
[1 February 2016] The Minister of Communications has gazetted a declaration of the performance period and start of the dual illumination period.__

The dual illumination period for the digital broadcasting signal in South Africa will commence on 1 February 2016. The end of the period is yet to be determined.

Full text:

 I, Azwihangwisi Faith Muthambi, Minister of Communications, MP, hereby declare the commencement of the dual illumination period in terms of regulation 3(1) of the Digital Migration Regulations, 2012 published by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) under GN 1070 in Government Gazette 36000 of 14 December 2012.

KINDLY TAKE NOTICE THAT the commencement of the dual illumination period for the digital broadcasting signal in South Africa starts on 1 February 2016. However, the analogue switch-off date will be announced after consultation with Cabinet.

TAKE NOTICE FURTHER THAT 84% of the South African population is covered satisfactorily by the digital terrestrial signal and the remaining 16% is serviced via the digital satellite signal.

AND ALSO NOTE THAT the national rollout of government subsidised Set Top Boxes (STBs) has commenced and the digital broadcast channels have been made available by the broadcasters. 

____

[29 March 2015] The Minister of Communications has published final amendments to the Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy.___

Amendment of Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy 18 March 2015

____

[20 February 2014] The Department of Communications delivered an informative presentation to the Portfolio Committee on Communications on 18 February 2014, setting out both its policy and the rationale behind the decisions made. There is a sense of urgency with the Department recognising that the process is some 51/2 years behind and that the ITU 17 June 2015 deadline for completion is just over a year away.

DoC Presentation PPC 18 Feb 2014

[15 January 2014] The Minister of Communications has published draft amendments to the Broadcasting Digital Migration policy originally published on 8 September 2008 and amended on 7 and 17 February 2012.

Proposed Amendment of Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy (6 December 2013)

Comments were due by 6 January 2014.

History:
Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy 2008 (8 September 2008)
Amendment of Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy (7 February 2012)
Amendment of Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy (17 February 2012)