[6 September 2023] The deadline for submissions on the draft White Paper has, happily, been extended to Monday, 9 October 2023.
[31 July 2023] The Department of Communications and Digital Technologies has published the White Paper on Audio and Audiovisual Media Services and Online Content Safety – A New Vision for South Africa for comment:
The draft white paper is open for comment until 16h00 on Friday 8 September 2023. Submissions can be sent to WPaavcs2023@dcdt.gov.za
[12 February 2022] The Department of Communications and Digital Technologies will host an online colloquium on the “Draft White Paper on Audio and Audio Visual Content Policy Framework: A new vison for South Africa” on Wednesday 16 February 2022.
[12 May 2021] Public hearings on the Draft White Paper on Audio and Audiovisual content services policy framework will be held between 10 May and 14 June 2021, the schedule for which can be found below.
Submissions received in response to the draft white paper:
- Advertising Regulatory Board
- African Media Entertainment
- Cape Town TV
- Consumer Goods Council
- eMedia Investments
- FOPL (child-directed marketing)
- Free Market Foundation
- Independent Black Filmakers Collective
- Independent Producers Organisations
- Milestone Two Report: Independent Production Requirements
- National Association of Broadcasters
- National Community Radio Forum
- National Film and Video Foundation
- Netball SA
- Press Council and Sanef
- Primedia Broadcasting
- Pulpit Media Group
- Right 2 Know
- SOS Coalition & Media Monitoring Africa
- South African Guild of Actors
- South African Screen Federation
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Various (children’s rights)
- Walt Disney
[7 December 2020] The draft policy was presented to Parliament on 25 November 2020.
[27 November 2020] The deadline for comments on the draft white paper has been extended to 15 February 2021:
[12 October 2020] The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies has published a draft policy framework on audio and audio-visual content services for comment:
The draft white paper is open for comment until 16h00 on 30 November 2020. Submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.